Saturday 13 July 2013



Last Tuesday Jordyn and I caught the 6:20 ferry from Nanaimo, landed at Horseshoe Bay (just north of Vancouver) at 8:00, and pulled up to my daughter’s apartment building in Edmonton just under 12 ½ hours later.  It felt so good to wrap my arms around this daughter too and to give my new son-in-law a hug hello.  I’m enjoying spending time with Alex and getting to know Matt.  I also had a great reunion with my favourite brother (it took him until he was about 6 to realize this wasn't quite the compliment he thought it was - he's my only brother), and look forward to spending more time with him while I'm here.

Alex has run 2 half marathons, as has her husband.  Matt also does triathlons and next Sunday will take part in a half Iron Man, so they are obviously a very fit couple.  They recently got Jordyn into running so on Thursday morning I decided to get off my butt and join her for a run - the first one I’ve done in decades.  Jordyn and I ran for 4 minutes, walked for 1, and kept that up for 2.5 km - I was very proud of myself!  Today we ran for 3.5 km; it was much more challenging and my legs felt like jelly at the end but I did it.  Now I’m actually considering joining Alex and Jordyn on a 5 km run next Saturday.

So, at 54 I’m discovering that life after children is about getting back in shape and keeping up with your children.  Maybe I’m crazy but I’m inspired to be in the best shape of my life in my fifties and sixties.


No comments:

Post a Comment